What a fun lesson this week! Topic: bullying. Book reading: Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully. Game: Musical spots with the Key Jar! More about the Key Jar below.
We had a very good discussion about a situation that happens a lot with girls. One girl chooses to hang out with one friend, which makes another friend jealous. When I asked if this had ever happened to the girls, all hands shot in the air. We brainstormed some possible solutions:
1) play with both friends
2) play with one friend now and the other later (this works when the activity friends want to play is not the same)
The important take away messages: be sure to tell the friend you are not playing with a first that you still want to be friends. Also, if the friend is mean or bullies as a result of not being chosen, tell them in a calm and firm voice that it is not ok for her to be mean and give the girl some time to cool off before approaching again.
Now for the book reading. We read Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully by, Julianne Moore. Yes, the famous actress. I am learning to use Twitter as another social media outlet, but it does not feel as natural as blogging or Facebook. Like I have been doing lately, I tweeted to the author of the book we read with a caption about our interpretation of the book. Imagine my surprise when Julianne Moore re-tweeted my picture. You all know Julianne Moore, right? This famous lady.
Here is the picture and the re-tweet….wow!
The Key Jar
At the lesson today, I brought out the Key Jar and played a variation of musical chairs to get girls to answer questions from the jar. Here are a few of the questions and answers….made me so proud!
1) If you could give someone one piece of advice, what would you say? Always be true to yourself.
2) When is it hard to be a friend? When your friend won’t let you be friends with other people.
3) What would you like to accomplish by your next birthday? Learn to ride bike.
4) If you could go anywhere in the world to complete a good deed, where would you go? Nepal to help the victims of the earthquake.
5) If you could make a new friend with anyone who would it be? Chris Pratt or Luke Bryan…sigh.
6) Is it possible to help someone you have never met? Yes! We help children we have never met every week by donating to TABLE 🙂